ATLUS has announced that they are planning on localizing and releasing Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth in both North America and Europe in 2017. Both games will be released on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in physical and digital formats. Mask of Deception will be releasing first sometime in Spring 2017, with Mask of Truth (a direct sequel) releasing later in the year.
Mask of Deception follows the story of Haku, a mysterious amnesiac who awakens in an unfamiliar and hostile wilderness. However, he’s rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail. They eventually team up, and Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception features:
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
Check out the announcement trailer below. Level Down Games will have more on each Utawarerumono game as they get closer to release.